Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sour Love, would you have it any other way?

Ok, I'm going there. LGB is working on a Berliner Weizen. Yes, Sour Love in fermented form. After brewing a couple of traditional Hefe-Weizens I've found the inspiration to shift focus toward a classic northern German style. "Why not?" I thought as I contemplated methods of souring a beer. "What's the worse outcome?" I muttered to myself as I shuffled around the brewery late one night like some kind of confused street person. I could already see the crinkled and confused scowl of JP Taylor at the 2010 Bradenton Beer Festival as he draws the taster glass from his lips.

How to do it? I could have created a sour mash, I could have cultivated a monster lactobacillus -- Gosh Darn I could have just left the fermenter open in the brewery and let one of our home-spun Anna Maria wild beach-yeasts float in to grace/haunt the brew. Instead I thought of the infamous ChezBill Shafer, Chef of The Waterfront Restaurant, as he dutifully and lovingly creates a Tamarind puree from the raw pods -- a main component of his Bahi Ribeye marinade. Yes, folks, tamarinds are the key I think. Somewhat sweet, a lot of sour, complex. Very reminiscent of my love life.

So, let's hope for the best.

Mahalo,

Michael Wagner


Oh yes, the 2010 Bradenton Beer Festival takes place on February 6 in downtown Bradenton. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment